Editor’s Choice: Current Voter Issues and Questions
The Voting Rights Act of 1965 is a landmark piece of federal legislation–Thank you President Lyndon Johnson!–
- Which Amendment to the Constitution relates to the Voting Rights Act of 1965?
- Why did President Lyndon Johnson feel it was necessary to add the Voting Rights Act of 1965 to the Amendment which already said everybody could vote?
- Why did the Supreme Court modify the Voting Rights Act in 1913?
BONUS QUESTION: What has happened since the Supreme Court’s modification ruling of 1913?
Mighty Pokey on the Eel River near Legget, California — Photo courtesy P. S. Smith
- Fact-checking tools: Snopes — VoteSmart — List of 10 additional options for fact-checkers
- We offer the above fact-checking tools to aid your investigation of these topics.We also recommend you utilize any further resources you typically use.